Skip to main content

The haves and the have nots


I was seated on the subway train days ago headed to work when this homeless white lady got on and sat down across from me. She had a shopping cart with her that seemed to contain all her belongings. However, she didn't look concerned that she did not have much. When she took off her winter jacket, I noticed she had a worn out sweater. My heart sank. Minutes later, she put on her glasses and started knitting a neck scarf that seemed almost done. As I watched this lady, I felt terrible about myself and the rest of us that have more than her. All her belongings fit in a small shopping cart. She had on worn out clothes but her facial expressions did not match her appearance and socioeconomic status. She was calm and looked worry-free.
A month ago, I was on a social media app when I came across some African children dancing to a song that was heard from the background. Although they were fully clothed, you could sense that they were impoverished as their surroundings told the story. However, they were happy and content with the little they had. At that moment, their major concern was to entertain themselves and possibly be a source of joy and happiness to anyone on the other side of the video. These two instances left me with questions that I had no answers to, hence this blog.
If there is something I have learned in my years on earth, it is that people with many blessings fail to recognise those blessings but choose to complain about achievements or feats not yet gained. Alternatively, people with less opportunities or provisions tend to be appreciative of what they have and more hopeful of things to come than their aforementioned counterparts. Why do people with much to be thankful for, fail to be appreciative or complain about things they are yet to achieve? Why do people with little or nothing tend to live happier and more appreciative lives? Those are questions that I do not have accurate answers to or reasons to explain their occurrences. However, one thing that cannot be understated is that one with the breath of life in his or her nostrils and healthy is surely blessed. I believe that if we strive to be more appreciative in what we have, we set ourselves up for great things that are to come. Have a great 2019!

Instagram: innatelycrowned

P. S. Feel free to leave your thoughts/comments in the comments section of the blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christians need to look in the mirror

I was born into a christian home and raised as one. Throughout my childhood and teenage years,  I remember spending countless hours in churches and various christian assembly.  I still am a devout christian and believer and lover of Christ. However,  I am not one to say that my faith is without blemish or error as it surely has lots and has become a global joke. Christians have now become sheep led by leaders who do not even understand what being a leader means.  Leaders who talk the talk but can't walk the talk.  Leaders who go into office to chase after titles,  money and fame. Gone are the days when pastors or Christian leaders go into office to make a positive difference in people's lives.  Gone are the days people shy away from being a Christian leader because of the difficulty or meekness of office or how they're perceived by in public or even as a result of the little money they make. Nowadays pastors consider themselves rockstars prophesying fa...

She won't call him handsome

Women in general are created to perfection. Their well-proportioned facial features, bodacious curves and innate cat-like walks are some of many things women possess that drive men insane. Traditionally, it has been the duty of the man to acknowledge a woman’s appearance or beauty. Most people would agree that it is the gentleman’s thing to do. A man who takes a woman out on a date is expected to compliment her appearance or beauty if he wants to score a second date with her. Admiration comments are also expected from husbands and boyfriends. Many couples have had fights that stemmed from the husband not complimenting their wives’ appearance. This stresses the importance of verbally acknowledging a woman’s appearance. However, it is also important for the woman to acknowledge the men on their appearance because men do appreciate those words and compliments. Words like “You are so handsome”, “I love that color on you. It makes you look more attractive” makes a man feel like a million ...

50/50: The mathematics of marriage?

 I spent some time with my mum today. We talked about a lot of things that revolved around me and life in general. The topic of marriage came up and we talked about how marriage and the idea of marriage had evolved over the years. Marriage back in her time and that of her parents or grand parents were based on the very basic things that mattered back then. Men chose to marry women who were polite, had a nice smile or simply just because they came from a good, reputable family. Those were the simpler times. Times when the parameters set for a mate can be argued to have been based on quality over quantity. Nowadays, marriage is a whole different ball game.  I believe everyone knows that marriage is a union of two souls to become one. However, some people going into marriage don't understand that it is a not a transactional relationship but one that is meant to collectively pull singular resources together to achieve an expected goal. This is because some women believe that the m...